Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Notes from the Road.

September 16, 2008

Notes from the road...

I finished mixing Last Breath a week ago in Lawrence, Kansas.

I stopped by Franklin, Indiana to drop off a 35 mm print of Birddog for some theatrical screenings that are coming up in that area. I spent the night at Bill Devers place (Bill runs the Indy Film Co-op) and we stayed up late talking about filmmaking, distribution, and politics. One of the things I like about being on the road is re-connecting with good friends. Thanks Bill for great conversation and a wonderful meal. I was still full most of the following day.

I surprised my publishers (Dog Ear Publishing) by dropping in on them and asking where the hell my book is. It was supposed to take 12 – 16 weeks we are now in to month 7. Right now I have no respect for these people, they have messed up so many things and when I ask for a production schedule they keep telling me it’s all up to me? If it was up to me the book would have been out 4 MONTHS AGO!!! They wondered why I was there and I told reminded them I was on my book tour. Oh yeah, and I still didn’t have any books! Maybe I’ll have books by the end of this tour, but right now I kind of doubt it. Morons is the nicest thing I can think of to say right now.

From there it was off to Baltimore and Creative Alliance for a screening of my short films and my workshop on Marketing and Self-Distribution. The attendance was wonderful for both events and I had a terrific write up in City Paper in Baltimore. Thanks Kristen for making everything run so smoothly.

The most recent DC Shorts Film Festival concluded last night and I have to say that it was FANTASTIC! Jon Gann puts together an amazing film festival. DC Shorts is the most filmmaker friendly festival I have ever been to. If you get in to this festival you need to go! You have so many opportunities to meet other filmmakers, talk to audience members and eat amazing food. All of the films I saw were of a very high caliber. Whether I personally liked some of the films or not, they were very tight, most of them were well shot and acted. This is a festival I would come back to again and again. (That’s a hint Jon…)

I want to thank Jon and everyone who worked on the film festival for making me feel so welcome, and taking such good care of me and Moses.

A special side note to the staff at the Hotel Monaco in DC – Thank you for taking care of Moses and treating him as if he were you own. I have stayed in “dog friendly” hotels before, but you all went above and beyond what I have ever seen. You all are the best and I will tell everyone I know about your hotel whether they have pets or not! A special thanks to Kimberle Reid and Awet Sium, you two are the best!

I am in Connecticut tonight for a work shop and then the next stop will be the Rappahannock Film Festival in Virginia. This is the first year of this festival and I am looking forward to it.

It has taken me a little longer than normal to adjust to the road again. I am somewhere between west coast and east coast time so my sleep schedule is kind of erratic. Since I am in Pennsylvania right now the time thing is not really helping me. Moses is having a tough time adjusting as well. I think this week we are finally back in to it.

That’s it for right now. Starting this weekend the schedule will really start to pick up.

Other stuff….

I still have dates available, so if you are interested in having me come to your college, university, media art center, independent book store, or even to your house for dinner, drop me a line (angryfilminfo@aol.com) and let me know.

I am thrilled that Film Baby (www.filmbaby.com) is a sponsor on this tour. If you haven’t checked out their site and their services, you need to do it. They are a great group of people dedicated to helping you get your films out. Also check out my other sponsors, Pollard Design (www.pollarddesign.com), Zoom Studio (www.zoomstudio.com), The Indy Film Co-op (www.indyfilmco-op.org) and Cheezy Flicks (www.cheezyflicks.com). All great people and great companies.

The first two Workshop DVDs are up on my site, www.angryfilmmaker.com, (and Film Baby’s) and they are ready to fly off the shelves. They are selling pretty well out here on the road. Also check my site for my Internet Specials.

It’s time to hit the road again.

Talk later.

Kelley

www.angryfilmmaker.com
www.facebook.com
www.myspace.com/theangryfilmmaker
www.youtube.com/theangryfilmmaker
www.filmbaby.com

2 Comments:

Blogger jO said...

Dear Mr. Baker, I participated in your seminars during the DC Shorts Film Festival and I wanted to thank you for your interesting words, ideas and tips! It was a great opportunity to listen to a very particular point of view... refreshing and helpful. After your talk I was convinced that I had to re-launch my blog so I have been doing so (new design, content, ideas, etc..) I hope you can give a visit to it and tell me your opinon, comment and promote if you feel like doing so (www.joreynals.wordpress.com).
Keep the good work!
Maria Jose from Argentina (currently in DC).

1:22 PM  
Blogger jO said...

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I also did a Showreel which you can see and comment about at http://www.youtube.com/user/joreynals
Cheers!

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home