Sunday, December 06, 2009

SXSW, SEA, Marketing Thoughts & Other Stuff

December 6, 2009

Just got the official confirmation, I will be at SXSW (March 12 – 20) doing a panel with my good buddy Jim LeBrecht of Berkeley Sound Artists. We’ll be talking about audio and ways to avoid fixing it in the mix. Date and Time: TBD. If you’re going to be at SXSW please find us and say hello.

I am also going to be speaking at the SEA Conference in Chicago on February 20th. As long as I am in town … I’ll also be at Columbia College and Northwestern. Let’s see who else we can add to that list.

My friends at Common Film (www.commonfilm.org) are changing their name and re-doing their website. I love these folks and get a lot out of their website. Check them out and I’ll let you know about the name change and the new website when I know more.

I was just on a panel in Portland, the NW Film Financing Conference: Movie Marketing, and I was amazed at how many filmmakers and producers are still naively clinging to the notion that they can raise a million dollars, make a film and get traditional distribution. Many of the people there (and a few panelists) also had no idea or concern that they should be marketing their work. I heard a few people say, I put my films up on the VOD site and am just waiting… SMELL THE COOFFEE PEOPLE!!!!

The old ways of doing things don’t work anymore. You have to promote, promote, promote! I know we’d all like to sit back and just make movies and let someone else deal with the business part, but the reality is you have to be involved and aggressive in all of it! Most distributors won’t even pay advances and I just heard from a couple of friends in the business that Netflix and Blockbuster are buying fewer and fewer films, and hardly any independents.

As filmmakers you have to get off your asses and work just as hard getting your film out there as you do when you made it. It is not getting better, it’s getting worse! The filmmakers who survive and thrive are the ones who do as much as possible themselves and, guard their digital rights, and figure out ways to cross-promote their films. The future of REAL Independent Filmmaking belongs to those who are willing to adapt, and work tirelessly not just making their movies but getting out there to the audiences as well.

Now to the shameless self-promotion…

It’s Christmas time and don’t you think your money would be better spent buying my book or one of my workshop DVDs instead of buying junk from some big company that you’ll use once and never use again? My books and DVDs are great reference sources if you’re really serious about making movies. Check it all out at www.angryfilmmaker.com.

The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide Part One: Making The Extreme No Budget Film. It’s full of things to help you make your film. So why haven’t you bought it!

Go to my site, (www.angryfilmmaker.com) and buy it for a mere $16.95 + $3 S&H. I’ll sign the book and get it to you before Christmas, what a great deal!

Whoa Pardner! Don’t forget an Angry Filmmaker T-shirt for Mom!

Please ask your local libraries to purchase my book.

On most library websites there is a place to suggest books for purchase. Or just send an email. Here is the information they will need:

The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide: Making the Extreme No Budget Film
ISBN #: 1-4392-3273-3
Author: Kelley Baker
2009

When asked for the publisher direct them to my website: www.angryfilmmaker.com
(The publisher is BookSurge but I make more money if they buy from me...)

Thank you!

I would really appreciate it if people who have purchased my book could go to Amazon.com and write a review. Please tell your friends about the book, but don’t let them buy it on Amazon, send them to my site. I make more money that way.

On to other stuff.

Follow me on Twitter (http://twitter.com/thekelleybaker) or become a fan on Facebook, http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/The-Angryfilmmaker/88965343075?ref=ts

Don’t forget to check out my tour sponsors, Show Biz Software, (www.showbizsoftware.com), Pollard Design (www.pollarddesign.com), Zoom Creates (www.zoomcreates.com), and Cheezy Flicks (www.cheezyflicks.com ). If you haven’t checked out their sites and their services, you better.

And I’m welcoming a new Sponsor, Film Slug, (www.filmslug.com) but more about them later…

As always, feel free to link to my site and you can subscribe to my blog. So what are you waiting for?

Talk later.

Kelley

www.angryfilmmaker.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home