Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sundance Part 3/AF Tip of the Day

And finally, Sundance Part 3


16) We have just launched a website, DocSource at www.sundance.org/docsource, which will be scaling up this year. Would you be interested in writing some journal entries (6-8 over a period of 1-3 months) about your film?

A. I already blog on 4 sites Monday thru Friday on all aspects of filmmaking. So what's one more? Make me an offer?

17) Please check those opportunities which you would like to be considered for:

____June Sundance Edit and Story Lab (June 21-28). World class editing and directing advisors engage with you and your team about story structure, character development and voice in your advanced rough cut. Editing facilities provided.

____Sundance DFP Work-in-Progress Screening (scheduled throughout the year with partner festivals and organizations). Present your film in the context of a Sundance screening and discussion at partner festivals and groups.

____Sundance Creative Documentary Producer's Lab (July 29-31, leading into the Independent Producer's Conference, Aug. 1-3). Sundance's newest DFP Lab, coordinated with the Feature Film Program, to support creative and strategic skills for creative producers in a complex marketplace.

____Sundance Independent Producers Conference (Aug. 1–3). Independent producers and directors meet industry professionals for discussions, panels, one-on-one meetings, and networking.

____August Documentary Composer's Lab (Aug. 3-7) A DFP Lab co-run with the Sundance Film Music Program to help directors work with composers on their documentaries. Four outstanding Composer Fellows are matched to four documentaries.

____IFP Rough Cut Workshop (New York City) Feedback and advice on specific technical, creative and post production issues from experienced film professionals.

A. I went to USC's Film school (BA & MFA in film production) and I am a veteran of IFFCON (2 times), and IFC's IFFM (3 times). I really don't think these sorts of things are for me. I have worked on major "independent" movies and what I have realized is that contacts don't mean anything. I stopped going to those places years ago.

18) Given our resources and mandate, is there something else you think we could be helping with? Please specify.

A. I have no idea what your resources are, what I will tell you is that the perception is that it is the same people getting funded all the time. It is all about contacts, or political correctness, and not about the ideas and the talent level of the applicants.

I recommend that you go to my web site www.angryfilmmaker.com. You will see more about me and what I do. I really don't think I am the right person for your programs. I am a "Blue Collar" filmmaker who goes to work every day. I quit working on other people's movies years ago because I saw the joke that "Indie" filmmaking had become. It's all about famous stars, predictable stories, and getting big deals with studios where everyone wants to change your movie, but no one there has ever made their own movie.

I did not intend to be flip in any of my answers, I do have strong beliefs on Real Independent Filmmaking. I hope my answers are of some use to you. It is up to you whether you keep me on your mailing list or not. As I have said in the past, I will keep making and self-distributing my films no matter what anyone else does.

Good luck to you in your endeavors.

Sincerely,

Kelley Baker

www.angryfilmmaker.com

Stayed tuned tomorrow for their reply…

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

I like shooting in the winter because of the short daylight hours.
- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in Spring 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home