Thursday, May 08, 2008

Indiana Here I Come/AF Tip of the Day

Most of you know that in July, in conjunction with The Indy Film Co-op, I will be teaching a Masters Class in Filmmaking at the Franklin Film Institute (www.independentcinema.net), in Franklin, Indiana. It’s a three week class based on my Making the Extreme Low Budget Film Workshop. During the 3 week course we are going to make a 20 minute short. I am working on the script as we speak. (It’s kind of a Star Wars meets Middle Earth on the Titanic with Zombies, based on an obscure Shakespeare play that I am transforming in to a ballet with okay, it’s not any of that!)

The cost for the 3 week work shop is a mere $750 if you are a member of the Indy Film Co-op, (www.indyfilmco-op.org), and $850 if you are not. That’s 3 weeks of filmmaking for a very reasonable price. And we are going to go through all the steps from Pre-production through Post production in 3 weeks. We are keeping the class to a maximum of 20 people. I have been told that the people at the Franklin Film Institute are working to get some reasonable deals on lodging for the participants. (Yes, you will have to pay for your own lodging.)

I am going to be putting my money where my mouth is. Now that ought to be fun.

If you would rather pay more money and sit around for 3 days and just talk about making a film, then maybe this is more your speed.

Sundance Institute holds an annual Independent Producers Conference each August at the Sundance Resort, a 5,000-acre arts and recreation community located at the base of Mount Timpanogos in Utah's Wasatch Mountains. (And if you are not famous or well connected don’t even bother applying…okay that’s my note. AF)

A relaxed yet focused three-day event, the Conference includes panel sessions conducted by top industry professionals, … (Blah, blah, blah…) … Evening events include social gatherings and preview screenings with a discussion with the filmmaker. (
It sounds like it’s going to be just another over priced conference for people who want to TALK about filmmaking. AF)

80 participants will be selected from the pool of applicants. (Be connected or be rejected.) Conference fees are $950, which includes all meals. Lodging at the Sundance Resort is an additional fee. Total cost to participate is approximately $1550 not including airfare.

They had a list of people who were there last year. Agents, hot shot distributors, and people who are going to ask what you can do for them. I spent years going to things like this. Luckily I am not jaded or bitter.

Personally, I’d rather be in Indiana in July making a movie. But I guess that’s just me.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

Locations should cost nothing.
- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in Spring 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home