Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Just something I heard/AF Tip of the Day

I had an interesting experience recently. I was judging a student film festival and was talking to one of the other judges. I had met this judge before; they used to work at one of the local art schools (where film is taught). They no longer work there and I have no idea why, I tend to stay out of those things.

I had done one of my work shops at this art school about a year and a half ago, the self-distribution & marketing one. One of the things I found interesting, is that there were faculty sitting in on the work shop and they were taking notes like crazy covering just about everything I said. They also asked a couple interesting questions during the Q&A. This is stuff that happens all the time, especially with that work shop.

A lot of the faculty at film programs all over the country are also filmmakers and we are all looking for ways to get our films out and by passing distributors. I never think twice about anyone taking notes during my work shops, because that's what I would do. I am being paid to give information so you better take notes.

Apparently that wasn't the case here. These faculty were taking notes so they could teach self distribution & marketing at the art school. That's what I was told by this judge anyway. Can you believe that?

I wondered why I haven't been asked back to that program. But you know what, it's not that big of a deal to me. When I had that guy plagiarizing me a couple months ago he was actually stealing my words. These people are taking content and you really can't protect that. And I may be angry, but I am not an asshole. So why bother? What am I going to say?

But here's the deal. The self distribution and marketing stuff is constantly changing. Stuff I was talking about a year or two ago is not applicable today. Things change that quickly. So my guess is IF these people really are teaching stuff I was talking about a year or two ago, then they're behind. I feel sorry for the students who are paying these people a lot of money thinking they're getting all this knowledge. They're actually learning history, in the guise of "this is what's happening now."

If any one out there attends this school in Portland, drop me a note and let me know if they really are teaching this stuff. I also don't know if I can trust the person who told me. Maybe they're making it up too. I'm just wondering.

And if I am wrong and the information is incorrect, I'll let you know.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

There is a clear chain of command on a set and it should be followed.
- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in Spring 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home