Thursday, January 10, 2008

Money Issues/AF Tip of the Day

I finally got a check I have been expecting for a month. This is the downside to what I do. I go to schools and talk to students and get them excited about filmmaking and teach them various tricks I have learned over the years. Then I have to wait for 30 days, or more, to get paid. I am still owed money from my Fall Tour and that ended in early November. It gets annoying, and I hate being put in a position where I have to bother people for the money that I am owed!

I am always happy to do paperwork ahead of time, submit invoices, and sign W-9's. And it still doesn't seem to make a difference.

There are some schools and media art centers that have my check waiting for me when I get there and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. If any of you out there are reading this and you work at places who want me to come and speak, I am happy to do that. And if we can get the paperwork out of the way a head of time, that would be great. I get tired of having to send follow up emails to people wondering why I haven't been paid. I recognize that sometimes things just happen and some payments get screwed up.

We are in a society where we now have to pay Doctors and other "Professionals" up front, but it is okay to negotiate with an artist, try and get them to cut their fees and then make them wait for 30 + days to get paid. I know a lot of my friends are frustrated as well. Have you ever told your doctor that taking out your appendix for free will look good on his resume? I didn't think so.

Help me out here! I am one person and even a few dollars makes a big difference to me. Just be as organized as you expect me to be and everything will work out fine.

Thanks for letting me vent.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

Banks will not loan you money when you need it! They only loan you money when you have money.
- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home