Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Scheduling Actors, Software, & Other Stuff

April 20, 2010
I am still on tour, it is winding down and I am pretty beat up.  I want to thank all of the folks that sent me notes about Moses’ passing.  He was a great tour companion and is missed.  Your words made me feel better.  Thank you.

I just got this link from a friend; check it out it’s sad and funny all at the same time.  http://www.theonion.com/articles/sad-sack-purchases-screenwriting-software,17254/

Check out the DC Shorts Film Festival website (http://www.dcshorts.com/ ), it’s a great festival!  The deadline is 4/30/10

I have been getting a lot of questions lately about scheduling scenes for actors, here is a reprint from an earlier blog posting for those that missed it.

Your AF Tip of the Day.

If a couple of your characters are going to have a major fight with each other, give them time to get in to rhythm and character on the set before you demand that they emote their brains out. 
    - - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide 

I am sure most of you know what I mean by this.  When you are doing your production schedule during PRE-PRODUCTION, take a hard look at the scenes you want to shoot first.  I never put the intense scenes at the beginning of a shoot.  I know the actors have rehearsed and know their characters but they haven’t been working on a set together that long yet.  And the same thing goes for the crew.

I like to put the intense scenes or any nudity towards the end of the shooting schedule.  I want the actors to really have time with each other to really get in to character.  I also want my crew working like a well-oiled machine. 

Since my shooting schedules are usually only 3 – 4 weeks in length I try to put the really hard scenes in the last week.  Sometimes it works; sometimes they go late in the second week.  As a filmmaker I am always looking at what is going to be the best for my cast, and for my crew.  When I worked as an editor I saw filmmakers schedule really dramatic scenes in that first week, and I can’t tell you how many times those scenes were re-shot.  And if they weren’t re-shot I know that most good directors I worked with regretted shooting those scenes early.

Buy my Damn Book!   In addition to my book being $2.00 off (Internet Specials), I have lowered the price on both of my Workshop DVDs (under Cool Crap to Own – Workshop DVDs) by 20% for a limited time.   (www.angryfilmmaker.com)

I am booking the Fall tour, if you want me to come to your college, university, media art center, or even to your house for dinner drop me a note at angryfilminfo@aol.com.

Don’t forget to check out my tour sponsors, The Write Brothers (www.screenplay.com), Pollard Design (www.pollarddesign.com), Zoom Creates (www.zoomcreates.com), and IMD Independent Media Distribution, (www.imdfilmsdvd.com).    If you haven’t checked out their sites and their services, you better.

Talk later.

Kelley

www.angryfilmmaker.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home