Sunday, June 03, 2007

Just thinking ...

So here I sit trying to get work done and organize my Fall Tour. I have way too much to do, and there are days when I feel like I am out of gas... Which doesn't really matter, because if I don't do it then it doesn't get done.

I am a little pissed, at a couple of organizations/schools that still owe me money. The thing that does drive me crazy is that I set up the shows, work shops, lectures, or whatever. I get there under my own power, pay my own expenses, and give them all of the paper work that they request.

Then they sit on my check! Remember you administrators, you get regular checks to do your job, I only get paid when I work! How about just doing your job a bit more efficiently and paying me in a reasonable amount of time!

Stuff that bothers me.

I am the only one who wonders about this...

Car bumpers! What ever happened to them? I see these plastic things on the front of all these cars, and apparently what is under them is useful in a crash, but the plastic bumper itself?
Useless! Remember when you had an older car and it wouldn't start so you would use a buddies car and push it to get it started? Don't do it now! That whole hunk of plastic will shatter. I was in Chicago and my Cousin in law decided that my van was beyond filthy and we should wash it. (He's a good guy). He was looking at what I laughingly call my front "bumper" and it had all sorts of "black shit" on it. ("Black shit" is a technical term...). It looked like road tar. On closer inspection it turned out to be scratches in my "bumper". It looked awful and we couldn't rub it out. Unless I want to get a new hunk of plastic I am going to have to live with it.

Now I know that the car companies will tell us that the plastic "bumpers" are lighter and will help us with our gas mileage. Yeah right! If car manufacturers were concerned about gas mileage I hope we can do better than plastic bumpers... And new cars are built so well that we don't need to push them any more to get them started. (Plus that trick only works with manual transmissions). RIGHT! And my computer never crashes! So if that is their argument, then why can you still get bumpers on trucks? Are they not built as well? Oh that's right, those are work vehicles. My Van is not a work vehicle...

I had a person run a stop sign in front of me a few months ago when I was in my 1976 BMW 2002. I hit her in the side and put a really nice crease in her door. My chrome bumper? Not a scratch on it. Much later, I was sitting at a stop light in the same car when I was hit from behind. The car that hit me had a cracked plastic "bumper" that was going to have to be replaced. My bumper... no problems! I am sure the car companies and body shops are making a fortune replacing big hunks of plastic on the front of these newer cars. My car, it looks fine!
It looks like real bumpers are going the way of wing windows. (A great invention for circulating air in your car I might add...). We'll never see them again. So I guess I will hang on to my older cars, because I still like chrome bumpers...

Oh yeah, and don't forget to cruise around my web site and see if you want to buy something, or even donate to one of my other projects. That's my hard sell of the day...

Talk later.
Kelley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home