Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lynda.com/FCP Tutorial/AF Tip of the Day

As many of you know, I am learning Final Cut Pro after being an Avid guy for years. It is challenging mostly because they use different terms to do the same things and I will admit I get a bit frustrated at times especially since I am working against a deadline. That's why I have been using the FCP tutorial through Lynda.com. It is a great site and I have learned a lot about different programs there. It's a modest monthly fee and in my mind, well worth it.

Except … I have a bone to pick with Larry Jordan, the FCP tutor. Larry, I am sure you are a fine editor, and I can appreciate your attempts at humor because making these tutorials must be pretty boring. But would you please just tell me ONE WAY to do things! You give me three different examples on how to do something simple like moving a shot in the timeline, and then you tell me that all of these ways are INFERIOR! Then you proceed to show me the right, efficient way that you use. I appreciate the fact that FCP can do the same thing a multitude of different ways…

BUT WOULD YOU JUST SHOW ME THE QUICKEST MOST EFFICIENT WAY TO DO THINGS! I AM SOOOO PISSED OFF! You are wasting my fuckin time with all of this other shit! I have work to do and I am trying to learn this program! I know you want to draw out these tutorials so you can make more money but would you just CUT TO THE CHASE! Why do I want to learn an inferior way to do things? That's just dumb! How long have you been an editor? Time is money pal! I don't mind paying you for the lessons; just give me things I can use in a reasonable amount of time. Am I supposed to remember the bad ways to do things?

Larry, you could cut some of these sections in half or less if you just give us the good stuff. Isn't that what an editor is supposed to do?

Trust me man, if we ever meet, there will be blood!

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

You need to keep good notes when you're beginning the editing process.
- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in Spring 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home