Monday, July 27, 2009

Common Film, thank yous, AF Survival Guide, & other stuff

July 27, 2009

Check out Common Film’s website (www.commonfilm.org). Jon just did a podcast with me about my new book. I actually sound like I know what I’m talking about! It’s also a great site run by a guy who loves films. Thanks for having me on your podcast last night.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my call for a Web Designer in my last blog, I got some fantastic responses! I got to look at some great work that is being done out there. I am going to list them all on my blog next week as a thank you. I’m still trying to figure out a few things but hopefully will be working with someone shortly to upgrade my site. Thanks again, I was a bit overwhelmed by the response.

“Too many people finance their films on credit cards, and they go broke! Their films end up not getting a distributor and they're left paying 30% interest on a film that no one wants.”
From The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide

Heed the words of noted financial consultant and former NBA player, Charles Barkley, "Credit cards exist to keep poor people poor."

DON'T USE YOUR DAMN CREDIT CARDS FOR ANYTHING!!!

Does that mean I've never funded something with credit cards? I have. And I have lived to regret it. Not the eventual movies, but the financial shape it left me in. I sold my home of twenty years to get the IRS off my back, all because I listened to the wrong people. People who said they would help me. I was gullible because making movies is all I've ever wanted to do.

So please, don't do what I did. The stress isn't worth it.

Figure out how to make your movies without breaking the bank. You’ll thank me later.

Check out my book @ www.angryfilmmaker.com. Hopefully it’ll help you avoid the mistakes that I have made over the years.

Here’s another quote…

“Packed with facts, and laced with humor, this book is more than a road map of independent filmmaking. Unlike many other books about filmmaking, Kelley's doesn't pretend there won't be potholes along the way; instead, it does its best to point them out in advance, so you'll know how to recognize them from a distance and avoid them like the plague. A definite must for any wannabe filmmaker.”

David Fechtor
Former Editor & Foley Supervisor


I just watched Neil Jordan’s, The Butcher Boy. What an unexpected pleasure. I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it before. I am much happier when he makes films in the UK as compared to what he has made here. I still think The Crying Game is one of the best films of the 1990’s. I also loved Michael Collins. The films he makes outside the US seem to be much more personal and definitely more of a challenge to watch. I still like filmmakers that make me work, there is a time and a place to watch mindless entertainment, but I foolishly still think of film as an art form in the right hands.

I will say that Breakfast On Pluto was a tough one to figure out and to stay with, but well worth watching. I hope to see more stuff by Neil Jordan. If you haven’t seen The Butcher Boy, check it out!

On to other stuff.

If you want Moses and I to come to your college, university, media art center, high school, theater or even to your house for dinner this Fall send me a note, angryfilminfo@aol.com.

Don’t forget to check out my tour sponsors, Show Biz Software, (www.showbizsoftware.com), Film Baby (www.filmbaby.com), Pollard Design (www.pollarddesign.com), and Zoom Studio (www.zoomstudio.com), and Cheezy Flicks (wwwcheezyflicks.com). If you haven’t checked out their sites and their services, you better.

As always, feel free to link to my site and you can subscribe to my blog. So what are you waiting for?

Talk later.

Kelley

www.angryfilmmaker.com
www.facebook.com
www.myspace.com/theangryfilmmaker

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home