Thursday, August 13, 2009

The "New Model" My Book & Other Stuff

August 13, 2009

I just received this note from a buddy of mine and I wanted to reprint it here. He teaches filmmaking in Chicago.

Kelley,

Man, I'm so sorry about being out of touch, but I have to tell you something:

I attended the Film Financing Conference at the Los Angeles Film Festival in June. It was a series of panels and seminars over two days that had some "indie" people talking. Anyway, the gist of the thing was the "new model" of financing and distributing independent films. And guess what they came up with...that's right...the KELLEY BAKER METHOD!! Now, of course, they didn't call it that, but here's what they're saying:

-make lower budget stuff
-make it personal and targeted to a VERY SPECIFIC audience
-create a fan base for the film and yourself
-use a mailing list to market and RAISE MONEY for your production
-use your web tools (website, Facebook, etc.) to increase sales/downloads
-guard your digital rights with your life
-the future is online

When I took it all in, I couldn't help but smile, because I had been taught this already by a fine gentleman named Kelley Baker.

When I mentioned this to a few of my fellow attendees they all seemed shocked because, wasn't this the FUTURE? How could someone have been doing this ALREADY?

I think the LAFF owes you some royalties. I hope all is well.

Best,
John

John A. Rangel Parkside Films


That’s great! It looks like I have been living in the future. It’s nice to know that I am ahead of the curve.

Yes, I have been doing this for quite a few years and a lot of people have said I was nuts and it wouldn’t work. Well I can’t dispute the nuts part, but it is working and it has been working. That’s why I wrote my book, The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide Part One. I outline how you should make a feature for very little money, and make it personal. All of my films are personal.

I learned my lesson a long time ago what the so called “Indie Film Industry” wants, and I’m not buying it. I try with my tours, workshops and my book to let people know that there is an alternative and it works. If you want to make a living making films, you can. You just need to make some adjustments to how you work.

The interesting thing for me is that many of these festivals and conferences pay these people to come and talk about the "new model" but they don’t do it themselves. They really haven’t road tested the information. If I were paying to go to one of these panels I would love to have it full of people who were actually doing what they’re talking about. Maybe I am just a dreamer…

If you want to hear me talk about the "new model" of financing and distributing independent films, you know the thing I have been doing for the last 5 years, check back on my web site as I will be posting my Fall tour schedule.

If you want to read about the making good No Budget films check out my book, The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide Part One Making The Extreme No Budget Film. Which is available on my site, (www.angryfilmmaker.com) for a mere $16.95 + $3 S&H.

On to other things.

I want to thank the following people for being willing to help me up date my website. I think you should go check out their work and if you like what you see, hire them to work with you on your site.

Chris Elliot @ http://www.webdesignrush.com
Tara Krick @ www.rexpost.com
Jim Dougherty @ http://www.3oclockproductions.com, http://www.indiestunts.com/jdougherty/
Johnny 5 @ www.renderedhero.com/ www.myspace.com/discoblaze
Sean @ Cheezy Flicks …

Thank you all for your help.

On to other stuff.

I am putting together the Fall Tour so if you want Moses and I to come to your college, university, media art center, high school, theater or even to your house for dinner this Fall send me a note, angryfilminfo@aol.com.

Don’t forget to check out my tour sponsors, Show Biz Software, (www.showbizsoftware.com), Pollard Design (www.pollarddesign.com), Zoom Creates (www.zoomcreates.com), and Cheezy Flicks (www.cheezyflicks.com ). If you haven’t checked out their sites and their services, you better.

And I’m welcoming a new Sponsor, Film Slug, (www.filmslug.com) but more about them later…

As always, feel free to link to my site and you can subscribe to my blog. So what are you waiting for?

Talk later.

Kelley

www.angryfilmmaker.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home