Thursday, January 17, 2008

Leonard Cohen/AF Tip of the Day

I just had the misfortune of watching Leonard Cohen, I'm Your Man. Lian Lunson was the Director.

WTF? Why did he make this movie? Leonard Cohen is a great songwriter/poet, hell I even like his voice. Harry Rasky made the best Leonard Cohen doc 20 years ago, (give or take). I got nothing from this movie. Having other singers interpret Cohen's work was not very interesting. And personally, I really don't give a fuck what U2 and all of these other clowns think about Leonard Cohen. We have to listen to them blather on, instead of listening to the man himself. I know it was probably their names that got the movie made, but the movie is so unimpressive that I know I could have lived without it.

If you are going to make a documentary/concert film about someone who is still alive, use them as much as possible, especially if they are as talented as Leonard Cohen. Otherwise you are wasting our time. Instead of seeing Lian Lunson's next movie, I think I'll try and find Harry Rasky's old docs.

And here is your AF Tip of the Day.

Many Classic Films were shot in less than 18 days. Some old studio films were shot in 10 - 15 days. It has only been recently, (the last 25 years) with bloated budgets and every one wanting to be like Francis Coppola, that shoots have gone way over schedule. - - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home