Monday, January 28, 2008

WalMart/Orson Welles/AF Tip of the Day

I hate being sick! The only good thing about it is it forced me to lay low and watch a couple of movies I have been putting off seeing. I checked out the WalMart doc, and I have to say I was impressed. When you see this movie it makes it really hard to justify going in to that place. I was really bothered by the fact that their full time employees make so little, and yet the Owners and Executives make so much. I knew a lot of what was in the movie before I watched it, but the way they successfully put such a human face on it was amazing. I know I won't be shopping there.

I also watched Orson Welles' film, F Is For Fake. Wow! I have heard about the film for years, and Welles is one of my favorites (we can debate Touch Of Evil and Citizen Kane at another time, but I truly feel Touch Of Evil is so much better than Kane, and it was a work for hire...), but finally seeing it was great. I watched Peter Bogdanovich's introduction, and he is right, it is not a documentary so much as it is a personal essay. The way Welles interacts with the people in the film, and the audience was great. He was a genius and there will never be another one like him. I think everyone who is interested in filmmaking should see this movie. I believe that Welles' films get better with age. There was no one like him, and probably will never be. Instead of going to your local theater this weekend and spending money on the latest crap from Hollywood, find this movie.

Since I am still feeling like crap I am going to stay low key today and watch something else. See you tomorrow.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

I think about budgeting during the writing stages. I think about budgeting during the thinking stages. I think about budgeting all the time

- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in 2008)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home