Monday, March 10, 2008

Plagiarism Follow-up/AF Tip of the Day

I want to thank everyone for the great response I received for my blogs and emails about plagiarism. From what I can tell, it's a real problem. I received a lot of notes from other people who have been plagiarized. What is up with that? Are people so hard up for creative content that when they see something they like they just steal it? Or is it that they're lazy?

I would feel like shit if I knowingly stole someone's words and tried to pass them off as my own. Am I the only one that feels this way? And I have been given examples of non-profit agencies doing this as well as individuals. That's crap!

We work hard coming up with creative ways to express ourselves and writing something that we think is not only going to accurately describe what we are doing, but is going to attract people to our events. If someone wants to use our stuff why don't they contact us and ask for permission? Probably because we are going to say "No!"

I think plagiarism really reflects badly on the people who do it. I know I wouldn't want to take a class or work shop from someone who isn't creative enough to write their own course descriptions. And I am going to wonder what else are they using that they didn't create?

I am grateful that someone saw this guys posting and recognized my words. I know I am going to be more vigilant when I read work shop and class descriptions, and if I think someone is stealing somebody else' s words I will alert them.

We all work too hard to have someone steal our stuff and take credit for it.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

Nice people will loan you props. Not so nice people will make you pay for them.
- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming Spring 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home