Friday, March 07, 2008

Raising Money/AF Tip of the Day

If you are trying to raise money for your movie you need to check out Morrie Warshawski at www.warshawski.com. Who is Morrie Warshawski? He is a consultant who has been involved in the Independent Film world for over 30 years. Morrie has written a couple of books that all filmmakers should have in their library, if they are serious about making films.

SHAKING THE MONEY TREE: HOW TO GET GRANTS AND DONATIONS FOR FILM AND VIDEO, and THE FUNDRAISING HOUSEPARTY. Morrie's specialty is working with non-profits and documentary films, but the great thing about Morrie is that in his 30 years in the business he has seen it all. I've known him for years and I find the stuff he has to say right on the money (so to speak).

Raising money for movies is never easy! I don't care what anyone says. Those who think it's easy have never done it! Morrie's books do deal with documentaries and non-profit organizations, but there is a lot you can learn from what he tells you and then adapt some of his basic principals for raising money for other types of films. One of the things I have learned over the years is, I don't know everything! (Surprised?) Every time I re-read one of Morrie's books I pick up something new that I can adapt to my own fundraising.

You need to know the rules of the game before you can play, and Morrie gives you the rules. The other thing he stresses is focus. Not just on your movie, but on your career. Why are you making this particular film, and where do you want to go as a filmmaker when it's all said and done! He makes you take a look at the big picture for yourself. I like that.

He is available as a consultant, (no I don't get any kickbacks. Do I Morrie?), but the best part is he's a really nice guy.

So check out his site, (www.warshawski.com), and buy something! If you talk to him, tell him I sent you.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

If you're doing a documentary it can be easier to raise money if you have a good idea and non-profit status.

- - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in Spring 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home