Thursday, August 20, 2009

Amazon, Murphy works harder than you do & Other Stuff

August 20, 2009

Can I get a favor here? Please go to Amazon and write a review of my book, The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide Part One: Making The Extreme No Budget Film. I am told it helps sales a lot. It only takes a few minutes.

And if you want to buy the book, buy it from my site, (www.angryfilmmaker.com) for a mere $16.95 + $3 S&H. This Angry Filmmaker appreciates it.

From The AF Survival Guide…

One of the biggest mistakes new filmmakers make is not allowing enough time for preproduction. There seems to be this myth that if you're not actually shooting, then you are not making your movie. I have found over and over, the more time I spend in pre-production, which includes casting, scheduling, and location scouting, the smoother and more efficiently my shoots run. Figure out how long you need for pre-production, then double or triple it!

Remember, it's a big deal making a movie. Treat it like one.

Murphy Works Harder Than You Do

Lay out your schedule on the board, sheets of paper, or whatever. That way you have a place to start. Show it to other "experienced" crew people and get their feedback. Make
changes accordingly. Remember, the shooting schedule is a living, breathing thing. It's going to change while you're working. You're not going to have enough time to finish a
location, something is going to fall through, actors will get sick or have conflicts, you'll lose locations, or whatever. It's going to happen and you have to be ready to shift things around and shoot in a different order than what you might have planned.

Try to have back-up locations you can go to if something changes at the last minute. If you get rain on an exterior and you don't want it, have an interior you can go shoot instead. I love the rain. The crappier and darker the day, the happier I am. It fits my style. In the Northwest, the weather can change dramatically in just a few minutes. You need to be ready for it. I usually get screwed by the weather being nice. I really hate that!

So buy the damn book already! You need it!

“This is a great book, written by an impassioned filmmaker who also happens to be a teacher of the first magnitude. An incredibly rare combination. Profit from your luck at having stumbled on this gem. Do yourself a favor, listen to what Kelley Baker has to say.”

William M. Akers
author of Your Screenplay Sucks! 100 Ways To Make It Great
teaches screenwriting and filmmaking at Vanderbilt University
Lifetime Member of the Writers Guild

On to other stuff.

I am still booking the Fall Tour so if you want Moses and I to come to your college, university, media art center, high school, theater or even to your house for dinner this Fall send me a note, angryfilminfo@aol.com.

Don’t forget to check out my tour sponsors, Show Biz Software, (www.showbizsoftware.com), Pollard Design (www.pollarddesign.com), Zoom Creates (www.zoomcreates.com), and Cheezy Flicks (www.cheezyflicks.com ). If you haven’t checked out their sites and their services, you better.

And I’m welcoming a new Sponsor, Film Slug, (www.filmslug.com) but more about them later…

As always, feel free to link to my site and you can subscribe to my blog. So what are you waiting for?

Talk later.

Kelley

www.angryfilmmaker.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home