Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Spike Lee/Hurricane Katrina/AF Tip of the Day

I want to thank all of you who have written notes to me telling me to feel better. I am on drugs now for my lungs (joys of being an asthmatic), and I am starting to feel a lot better. Thanks for your concern. This isn't going to stop me from going out on tour in March, Moses and I will be on the road as usual.

So you all know, I am not a big fan of Spike Lee's films. His early works are good but he lost me quite a few years ago. I think he is a talented guy, (especially when it comes to self-promotion) but his last few films have just not engaged me. It seems like it's become more about him, than the story he's telling.

That being said, I have watched the first 3 acts of his documentary When The Levees Broke and I am wowed! Spike you are making me a believer again in your talent. I am looking forward to watching the rest of it. If you don't know what it's about, it is about Hurricane Katrina and it's aftermath. The people that Spike has interviewed are amazing, all of them! The footage is devastating, and the face of the tragedy is real! If you haven't seen this movie yet, get it! It certainly makes you wonder what those in power were thinking (or if they were thinking), and how could this government treat it's citizens this way.

The great thing about this movie for me (so far), is that Spike allows the people and the images to speak for themselves. And that's what they do, wonderfully. A great movie, Spike you have renewed my faith in your talent, and made me depressed about the state of this country and our government all at the same time. Thank you for such a though provoking film.

And now, your AF Tip of the Day.

During the period when you're still rehearsing, don't be afraid to replace an actor. - - from The Angry Filmmaker Survival Guide (coming in 2008)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home